19 Reasons Why Bacalar Could Be the Next Tulum: The Emerging Paradise in Mexico
Bacalar, a serene town in the Yucatán Peninsula, is increasingly recognized as a potential successor to the renowned Tulum.
Here are 19 compelling reasons why Bacalar is on the path to becoming the next big thing in Mexican tourism, including the impact of the upcoming Tren Maya.
19 Reasons Bacalar Could Dethrone Tulum
- Safety and Local Community Preservation: Bacalar is known for its safe environment, even at night. Unlike Tulum, where hotel developments have impacted local communities, Bacalar retains its authentic charm, with locals still a part of the town’s fabric.
- The Lake of Seven Colors: Laguna Bacalar, or the Lake of Seven Colors, is the centerpiece of Bacalar. Its crystal-clear waters in various shades of blue offer a serene alternative to the typical beach getaway.
- Rich Cultural Heritage: Bacalar’s history is deeply intertwined with the Mayan culture, which remains vibrant and celebrated today.
- Tranquility and Less Touristy: Bacalar offers a peaceful retreat free from the bustling crowds typical in Tulum and other popular tourist spots.
- Strong Conservation Efforts: The town is committed to environmental protection, with ordinances to safeguard its unique ecosystem.
- Easy Lagoon Access: Unlike many beach destinations, Bacalar offers hassle-free access to its beautiful lagoon, a significant draw for visitors.
- Pirate History: The town’s colorful past, including invasions by pirates, adds an intriguing historical aspect to its allure.
- Unique Experiences: From paddleboarding and kayaking to exploring vibrant street art, Bacalar provides special activities for its visitors.
- Proximity to Tulum and Accessibility: Located approximately 2.5 hours from Tulum, Bacalar is close enough to be accessible but far enough to offer a distinct experience.
- Affordable Cost of Living: Compared to Tulum, Bacalar boasts a more affordable cost of living, making it attractive for extended stays.
- Affordable Housing Options: Various housing options at different price points make Bacalar accessible to many visitors and expats.
- Budget-Friendly Dining: The town offers affordable options, from street food to mid-range restaurants.
- Low Transportation Costs: With affordable taxis and public transportation, getting around Bacalar is easy and inexpensive.
- Accessible Healthcare: Bacalar’s healthcare facilities and affordable health insurance options cater to both residents and visitors.
- Tropical Climate: The town enjoys a warm, tropical climate year-round, perfect for outdoor activities and relaxation.
- Community and Safety: Known for its low crime rate and friendly community, Bacalar offers a secure and welcoming environment for tourists and expats alike.
- Language and Communication: While Spanish is the primary language, many locals and expats speak English, facilitating accessible communication for tourists.
- Learning Spanish: For those interested, Bacalar provides opportunities to learn Spanish, enhancing the cultural experience for visitors.
- Tren Maya Impact: The upcoming Tren Maya, a major transportation project in the region, is set to connect Bacalar directly with other tourist destinations, potentially boosting its accessibility and popularity.
Bacalar’s emergence as a new favorite destination in the Mexican Caribbean is supported by its natural beauty, cultural richness, safety, and affordability.
With the addition of Tren Maya, the town is well-positioned to attract a new wave of tourism, potentially rivaling the appeal of Tulum.
This hidden gem offers a tranquil, authentic, and environmentally conscious alternative, perfect for those seeking adventure, culture, and relaxation.
Explore Bacalar and discover why it could be your next must-visit destination in Mexico!
If you need help locating a home in Bacalar, please contact us.